Everything turns on but no sound?!?!?

Discuss all ICE related topics here

Moderators: Tank, AstroDubz, PlaYa

Everything turns on but no sound?!?!?

Postby SWISS on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:47 am

Hi Guys,
Over the past weekend I rewired audiosystem (amp power was run from the fusebox so changed that to a better quality cable from the battery direct - also i just tidied the rest of the wiring up and moved the amp remote wire from the deck (original) to ignition as i wanted to be able to have my amp on with the deck off).
Yesterday, on the way home from work, enjoying the fruits of my labour, music just stopped playing altogether :x !
Setup as follows:
Standard Gamma HU with CD shuttle
4ch amp running off the HU's pre-out (yes the stock HU has pre-out)
Splits up front running off amp
2 DVC subs running off amp
std rear speakers running off HU
When i turn the ignition on, the radio turns on and loads a CD - says play on the screen and the amp turns on (green light - does not go into protection). The most odd thing is that not even the speakers that run off the HU play. I thought it might just be the HU so plugged my phone into the amp but still no sound. How can the amp and HU go at the same time and both look like they are working fine :? ?!?!
Has anyone come accross this issue before?
Please help
Cheers
Daily - Audi A3 2.0T FSI
EX - '91 Golf mk2 9A 16v :cry:
EX - Golf 4
RIP - '91 Edition One Passat GT 9A 16v :cry:

SWISS
XV forum slut

Re: Everything turns on but no sound?!?!?

Postby PoPo on Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:43 am

Could be your sound IC (not really saure what they call it but that is what my buddy called it and the guys knew what i was on about) that got shot to sh$%t!

I had a similar experience, still driving and then just silence.... i re-wired the entire system hoping it would sort out the issues but to no avail... my buddy then suggested i check my sound IC and that was blown - first check if you have sound off the headunit without the amp process of elimination works best.

To this day i still have a Star sound AMP that works when you put it on but still no sound! :twisted:

OR

and this is a big OR is that you head a dead lead somewhere, when i first installed a sound system in the POLO it would play for the first time and then just silence - but i was sure everything worked, so i checked out the leads and wires, and my driver side speaker was the culprit, not the speaker per say but the wires connected to it, i just disconnected that wire from the setup and my system was working fine! but the minute i would connect it, it would play but then just cut out and not switch on again.... what i eventually did was connect the original headunit back and play my tunes through my phone (and guess what my original headunit plays LOUDER than that of my aftermarket deck :scratch: )

Hope you come right bud - nothing worse than driving with no sound, then you need to plug in your earphones Bwahahahah!!! :thumright:
Current: Polo 6r 1.4 CW Comfortline
Ex: Polo GTi (sold)
Ex: Mk3 2.0 8V GTi (sold)
Ex: Mk2 1.6 CSL (engine blew)
PoPo
Slut

Postby SWISS on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:46 am

Pogo wrote:Hope you come right bud - nothing worse than driving with no sound, then you need to plug in your earphones Bwahahahah!!! :thumright:

Lol agreed!

It seems to be a problem with the deck too as the rear speakers run directly off the deck, not amplified and these are connected through the original un-tampered with wiring harness also not working...It would just be such a coincidence if the amp and deck broke at the exact same time!

Wish i had a spare amp and deck i could try out...

Guess i'm driving on mute for a while then :scratch:
Daily - Audi A3 2.0T FSI
EX - Golf 4

SWISS
XV forum slut

Postby SWISS on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:52 am

One more thing to note...i recently chucked my line out converter in favour of using the "Monsoon" amp connector at the back of the radio (offers FR, FL, RR, RL and remote switch). Could this output possibly have been too high, bolwing my amp and HU?
Has anyone else connected their sound in this way?
Daily - Audi A3 2.0T FSI
EX - Golf 4

SWISS
XV forum slut

Return to Watts Up