Refitting original Velo headunit.

Discuss all ICE related topics here

Moderators: Tank, AstroDubz, PlaYa

Refitting original Velo headunit.

Postby CreamyGoodness on Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:52 am

hi guys, i'm refitting my original h/u as I want to go back to stock in that car. Question is, did that unit come with a bracket like aftermarket ones do (that fits into the dash)?
It's been a long time since it's been out of the car, and I can't seem to get it sitting 100% flush with the dash - maybe I'm doing something wrong?
There are two side clips on the unit, but they do not seem to hold onto anything....that's why I thought there may be a bracket missing?

Thanks guys.
CreamyGoodness
tricycle racer

Re: Refitting original Velo headunit.

Postby SWISS on Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:47 am

Hey Guy, The original Velo HU slides directly into the dash/radio cage. There was no aftermarket type cage in there before so if you have that out, is should just slide in and click into place. The only 2 things i can think of why it wouldn't are:
1 - there is some wiring (or possibly line out converter) behind the HU which wont allow it to go all the way back. Check your wiring and try and move it out of the way
2 - when the aftermarket HU was installed, the dash/original radio cage was butchered. If this is the case, you will need a new cage from a scrap yard or something.
Cheers and good luck! :thumleft:
Daily - Audi A3 2.0T FSI
EX - '91 Golf mk2 9A 16v :cry:
EX - Golf 4
RIP - '91 Edition One Passat GT 9A 16v :cry:

SWISS
XV forum slut

Postby Jabez on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:37 pm

I might take mine out too.
Why you going back to stock then?
Current:
74 VW Bug restored and slammed
Ex:
1.4i Velocity
Ex:
2L 16V mk2 GTI exec, EGI pistons, powerflow
Jabez
shopping trolley racer

Postby PoPo on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:50 am

IvanSK4 wrote:Hey Guy, The original Velo HU slides directly into the dash/radio cage. There was no aftermarket type cage in there before so if you have that out, is should just slide in and click into place. The only 2 things i can think of why it wouldn't are:
1 - there is some wiring (or possibly line out converter) behind the HU which wont allow it to go all the way back. Check your wiring and try and move it out of the way
2 - when the aftermarket HU was installed, the dash/original radio cage was butchered. If this is the case, you will need a new cage from a scrap yard or something.
Cheers and good luck! :thumleft:

^^what he said - i removed my original HU from the polo and then went back to stock (funny the stereo plays louder with the stock HU) but i struglled for day to get it as flushed as possible.... the wirse at the back just kept on pop'n it outwards by 1.2inch or so... check to make sure that sthere is sufficient clearance behind the HU -

off topic Ivan where ya been?
Current: Polo 6r 1.4 CW Comfortline
Ex: Polo GTi (sold)
Ex: Mk3 2.0 8V GTi (sold)
Ex: Mk2 1.6 CSL (engine blew)
PoPo
Slut

Return to Watts Up