CUSTOM DETAILING TIPS | CAR CARE TIPS

This is where you post all your technical topics about body work, body kits and body styling.

Moderators: Tank, AstroDubz, PlaYa

CUSTOM DETAILING TIPS | CAR CARE TIPS

Postby Yakuza Racer on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:38 pm

This is taken from many forums and used by all, if you have more please add them....... but will update daily since im kaaaaaas bored at work :|

Daily :(just like anything else, you gotta clean your toys before you put them away! : Dust and detail.
Weekly: Wash/Dry.
Monthy: Polish and Wax.
Three-months (oil change schedule): Suface prep, AND removing more than minor paint flaws. MEGUIARS
Six-Months : Clay Bar for deeper settled contaminents.

IMPORTANT:
Please don't EVER USE ANY TYPE OF DISH SOAP ON YOUR CAR!!! :evil: If you have done this, then you need to go buy some type of glaze for your car, I recommend Meguires no 7 Show Car Glaze. You apply it to the car like wax, then you let it SIT, for at least 30mins but I recommend an hour. Basically doing that will allow your paint to soak up all of the nutrients it needs to look deep and glossy again and then you just wipe or buff off the excess..

TIRE DETAIL

1) I use the kitchen sponges that are yellow with the green scouring pad back to apply tire dressing. Spray the dressing on the foam side and apply to the tire .. no more overspray on your clean wheels or up on your paint. These are like R25 for 12 at your local pick and pay and at this price disposable when they get dirty.

2) Use bleach to clean your tires before applying your favorite dressing. Once you spray this on your tire you will crap when you see the brown crud run down. As with car waxing a well prepared black tire will look better when dressed up. If you have non-cleared alloy wheels protect them from the spray.

3) To apply your black trim dressing like Back To Black etc try using a foam paint applicator ( Foam wedge shaped brush on a plastic or wooden handle) to put the dressing on. This allows you to get in those hard to reach places and also great for doing straight edges on the rubber around the windows. Just make sure you wipe off the excess so the coat is uniform.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Car Washing Tips:

- First RINSE REALLY WELL. Take your time and do it right to ensure you remove as much of the loose dirt as possible. If not, expect scratches. Rinse each and every crevice really well; dirt gets trapped there too and will find its way to the wash thingy. I don't recommend a power washer as it can overcome certain pressure seals, but the highest water pressure your house provides should be fine. I think a really thorough rinse should take about 15 minutes.

- Wash. I'm not going to recommend a particular car wash, but here's my method and rationale. Wash from the top down. Not front to back or sectionally. Start with the roof. Then the windows, then the hood and trunk, upper side panels, inside door wells, lower side panels, then the wheel wells, underbody, tires, and finally rims. The rationale is that most of the dirt that sticks and doesn't come off during even a good rinse is at the lower body. If you start there, expect the dirt to get trapped in your wash thingy and scratch the rest of your paint. Also, never ever ever use your wash thingy for your paint for your wheels; use a different one.

- Wash the wash thingy. Clean it many many times during washing the car. I recommend a separate 20 gallon bucket of only water for this; return it there for a rinse before you resoap it in your suds bucket to prevent dragging dirt into yoru soap and onto your paint. Remember to throw the wash thingy in with your laundry for a thorough cleaning.

-Rinse. This time low pressure water fall flow is perfect. It will allow all the water to sheet off the car leaving less for drying. one thing to add, make sure you shake all the lint from that towel or chamois or you will drive yourself nuts! :lol:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INVEST IN CLAY BAR KITS AND READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FULLY............... Meguiars kits are great! :mrgreen:
Yakuza Racer
XV Turbo Supreem

Re: CUSTOM DETAILING TIPS | CAR CARE TIPS

Postby Yakuza Racer on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:48 pm

CAR SHOW PREPARATION

for drying:
wash the car outside roll it in.i have already cranked the heaters on full blast so the room is freakin hot. i am sweating just standing there. i go over the windows with a squegee and the entire car with another one cleaning after each sweep. just gets the majoirty of the water off there :edit: any fine scratches you do put into the car you end up taking out when you do the color cut anywayz:edit:. i go grab a coffee let the heater do the rest
next i claybar the car

claybar:
make sure you use a good bar. we use a bar from our supplier so i dont know what kind it is exactly buts its around $80 for the bars and we have different strengths for different colours and cars.
try to use lots of lubricant, soap and water is really good, just somthing so the bar doesn't stick. make small circles and go panel by panel. try to wash the car after each panel so lots of grit doesn't get in there
do the whole car, sedans usually take around an hour and a bit to do.
wash the car to get the soap and clay off, make sure you get it all off.
bring car back in and dry it off by hand. let the heater do the work again.
i usually let the car sit for about 15 minutes once dry in the hot bay so that the paint begins to become warm. makes for easy waxing.

waxing:
usually do 4 waxes in total, color cut, lustre, shine, and then a shine enhancer
when i use the color cut i usually do 2 coats and buff off with a wool pad on the buffer at around 1800rpm. if there are still some scratches i will do as many as neccessary.

lustre i will do about 2 or 3 coats again depending on the coat quality. light colors get done with a buffer dark ones especially black get done by hand.
shine: do a coat by hand and take off by hand
shine enhancer: again 2 coats take off by hand.
stand back and admire, fix any imperfections that are then seen.
key is to be in a warm bay. wax dries quicker, goes on better comes off better. it is usually better to let the wax sit for a few minutes until it is fully dry. it comes off easier but works better and doesn't haze the paint.

then i just roll it into the showroom and use a showroom cloth to remove any fingerprints and dust.....
Last edited by Yakuza Racer on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yakuza Racer
XV Turbo Supreem

Postby Yakuza Racer on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:42 am

a little more reading but well worth it!

http://www.mobile-image.co.za/swissvax2010.pdf
Yakuza Racer
XV Turbo Supreem

Postby Yakuza Racer on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:45 am

DETAILING ACRONYM LIST MEGUIARS

#00 --- Meguiar's Hi-Tech Wash
#1 --- Meguiar's Medium-Cut Cleaner
#2 --- Meguiar's Fine-Cut Cleaner
#3 --- Meguiar's Machine Glaze
#4 --- Meguiar's Heavy-Cut Cleaner
#5 --- Meguiar's New Car Glaze
#6 --- Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax
#7 --- Meguiar's Show Car Glaze
#9 --- Meguiar's Swirl Remover 2.0
#10 --- Meguiar's Clear Plastic Polish
#16 --- Meguiar's Professional Paste Wax
#17 --- Meguiar's Clear Plastic Cleaner
#18 --- Meguiar's Clear Plastic Detailer
#20 --- Meguiar's Polymer Sealant
#21 --- Meguiar’s Synthetic Sealant
#26 --- Meguiar's Hi-Tech Yellow Wax
#34 --- Meguiar's Final Inspection
#36 --- Meguiar's Hi-Tech Cleaner
#38 --- Meguiar's Tire & Trim Dressing Gel
#39 --- Meguiar's Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner
#40 --- Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner
#62 --- Meguiar's Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner
#66 --- Meguiar's Quick Detailer
#80 --- Meguiar's Speed Glaze
#81 --- Meguiar's Body Shop Professional Hand Polish
#82 --- Meguiar's Body Shop Professional Swirl Free Polish
#83 --- Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner/Polish
#84 --- Meguiar's Compound Power Cleaner
#85 --- Meguiar's Diamond Cut Compound
#96 --- Meguiar's Medallion Premium Leather Cleaner
#97 --- Meguiar's Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner
#98 --- Meguiar's Medallion Premium Paint Polish
Yakuza Racer
XV Turbo Supreem

Postby Yakuza Racer on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:04 pm

Found at your local Game:

MEG = R120
MOTO = R40
Yakuza Racer
XV Turbo Supreem

Postby Yakuza Racer on Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:40 pm

CLEANING THE ENGINE BAY

Items needed:
Prepsol degreaser
fine brissel paint brush
microfibre cloth
BLACK 2 BACK or 303

1- let engine cool off a bit, dont want to get water where you dont want ( crack mani, or damage parts) Cover up
•Alternator
•Alarm Housing
•Intercooler
•Battery terminals (if not covered already)
•Induction kit cone (if you have one)
•Coil packs
•Intake opening (Ziplock bag)

2- Get you some Prepsol degreaser and spray on liberally, allow to soak for 5 mins
3 - Fine brissel paintbrush works well on hard to remove areas, once over with it and continue to
4- rinse the motor on light spray......
5 -remove coverings ( spark plugs , alternator , etc | step 1)
6 - dry with microfibre cloth
7- do not directly spray on to engine parts, spray a cloth and wipeImage or Image for that new engine shine..
8 wipe off excess and smile :mrgreen:
Yakuza Racer
XV Turbo Supreem

Postby Yakuza Racer on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:39 pm

BUMP, cause this is kinda dead
Yakuza Racer
XV Turbo Supreem

Return to The Panel Shop