98 GTI - restore to former glory

Got a car Project you working on.... let us know whats happening

Moderators: Tank, AstroDubz, PlaYa

98 GTI - restore to former glory

Postby u3 on Mon May 13, 2013 10:09 am

ok, a little history first. my 1st self bought car, a 98 mk 3 GTI 2.0 exec with mp9 management.

bought it stock standard, high as a 4x4, color coded bumpers and grill and double barrel headlights.
we spent the 1st year together like this. then i got a sport steering wheel as a gift and fitted it. that was the start of the enhancements.

the original golf ball gear knob had crumbled one cold morning so i took it off and put on a plain chrome knob. that got replaced with the current blue and chrome grenade type knob.

months later, had an accident, it went like this. robot turned green we all pulled away and a second later the lady infront of me steppd on the brakes. clearly i wasnt expecting it and was not prepared so i braked a second too late and hit her. crecked bumper and headlight.
got a quote for 25k to repair and a an Excess of 5k. so i said screw them, il do it myself. got aftermarket angel eyes, badgelss grill and replacement bumper. unfortunately the bumper that i got delievered was the one piece with the lip. not the 1 i wanted! but apparently the fault was mine for mis quoting the product code.
anyways. fitted it all and that explains the new all black front.

one sunny day after the rain, went around an easy bend a bit faster and hit a sand/water/oil patch and sort of aquaplaned, and the car needed new shock. so decided id drop her like she should be..got a custom 25/40 Koni STRT kit fitted and never regretted a single moment. the car definitely held the road better and was soft and easy driving too.. not hard or bouncy at all.

then, the all black dash was dull and bland..saw a post online of cars with custom coloured dashes.. so i decided to brighten things up.. stripped all the panels and sprayed them Azure blue, this was the closest to the car colour i could find without having someone mix it for me. swapped the dials on the heater unit to chrome ones and looks way better..(even though some ppl on some forum complain that its too bright..) hahaha...

one fine day, the crown gear of the AUG gearbox broke loose. went to a gearbox repair guy and he quoted me 16k.WTF???
read up on it a bit online and figured for that amount i can get a whole new engine. went to my brother in laws friend, who he absolutely swears knows VW inside and out..ok ok, this guy has rebuilt a few VR6s and knows VW, but he is a skelm either way. asked him to organise a FFZ box. he talks big and says he can organise a almost new one and fit it for 2500. im all in. takes the car, and goes to sort it. 3 weeks later, i phone for an update and he needs more cash because he had to change the clutch too because the old one wouldnt fit..???really. not what i heard..ok, everythign is fitted..total cost 3500.
car feels nippier on acceleration, but now lacks topend. also has a sticky feeling in second and grinds a bit was not happy at all..took it back and apaprently the box had some issues..he got a replacement box and fitted it. still same affect..nippier but no topend, but no stickiness and no grinding, not too happy but thought it was my bad decision on Gearbox.

anyways, came to service time about 3 months later, i jacked up the car got everything ready and as i laid under the car reaching to turn open the sump nut i read somethign funny on the GB...its says AUG..WTF...
go back to the guy and he says he put ffz internals in the aug box to sort out the issue, but now i dont trust him and cant believe a thing he says..
anyways, i go home and swear and curse and accept.. a few months later the box starts giving me issues...i go searching for a FFZ box, a lighter CTI flywheel and new sachs cutch, a new mechy and get it all fitted for 4500k. much better acceleration and has topend...anyways.. car drives awesome and im happy.. a few months i take teh long road for a holiday and as im driving i feel sometihng hit the bottom of the car.. look in my rear view and nothing..a few KM later i see somethign shoot out from teh side of teh car..WTF...stop about a KM down the road and check under teh car, i see nothing funny.. anywahs..drive on and get at my destination about an hour later.. the next day i start up and head to the shop and when i get to 5th gear the box starts grinding and whining.. OMG, WTF... can only get up to 4th gear with no sounds or issues. 5th is a problem. now im in some tiny dorp where i dont know anyone and i cant get a mechy to sort me out and no available parts..
park the car and enjoy my holiday.. time to go home.. its only about 250km. so i decide il drive home and stay in 4th. was teh longest F..ng drive every.. stayed under 80km in 4th.
when i got home i got instructed to speak to a man called Riaan and he did some good work. apparently that plastic thing on teh side of the box popped and the oil drained from 5th and 5th had burnt..
he replaced gears and did whatever else he did and the box is way better than before. THANK YOU RIAAN.

next mod.. i was tired of rubbery and misaligned gearshifting, so i removed all the linkages, threw away the rubber bushes, cut off the connecting knobs, and drilled the linkages fitted tie rod ends with nuts and bolts and threaded bar. now the shifting is a lot more defined and mechanical and is a lot more finely adjustable too. never need new bushes. just need to do the actual shifter still( but that requires remving the damn exhaust, thank you VW)..so that will wait.

i think that is all..its all i can remember.

i was happy. loved the drive.. enjoyed the car...
then i bought myself a nissan hardbody and drove that most of the time because it made things easier for carting around the dogs and my son and wife. the GTi then got abused by my sister and brother in law who needed a car and i was nice enough to lend it to them..got it back with the clear coat faded and a few months worth of dirt on and in it and a broken front bumper.
replaced bumper with el cheapo replacement since money is tight these days...
then it got abused by my brother who needed a car while i fixed his GT..

and over teh last 2 years the poor GTi has developed some issues and they all adding up. now i have her home and was trying to sell her before she breaks and falls apart from the abuse because i dont have time for her.

but due to failed sales and ppl making impossible offers.. i decided i will clean her up and start sorting out issues to restore her to her former glory..back to the time she turned heads when i rolled up..

so now, i always wanted a build thread, but this is my restore thread. sorry for the long read. hope you guys will enjoy the upcoming additions and updates. it wont be as great as some build threads, but hopefully it will inspire some appreciation.
EX[color=#BFFFFF]98 GTi EXEC :
u3
pro dicer

Re: 98 GTI - restore to former glory

Postby u3 on Mon May 13, 2013 2:20 pm

so i am working on writing up a list of issues that need to be fixed. just need the time to do it.
but i had some time this weekend, and decided to jump right in.

this is what i started with:

faded headlights, faded grill, dull dumper

so i pulled out the polishing compound, some plastic primer and flat black spray, then some shiny clear coat and red striping.

step one: removed dull grill

step two: removed headlights.

now i apologise for lack of photos of the process, but i had a short time and didnt have a chance to wipe hands clean each time i needed to handle camera to take pictures. but i will get better at sharing pics

step three: cleaned all the parts with some soapy water to remove greasy finger marked and bugs and crap that's built up over the last few months because i dont know when last the car was actually washed.

step four: polised up the headlights and work up a sweat, some real elbow grease used.. cleaned off that dull yellow haze, and polished up nicely.. looks all shiny and new. but wasnt done..washed off the polish to spray on a clear coat...
reason? well when the plastic fades you need to sand off /polish off a layer of the plastic to clear it. now if the clear coat fades the plastic survives and its the coat you remove. plus this makes the lense a bit firmer and will protect it from chips and scratches too..

step five: spray the plastic grill.. started with rustoleums plastic primer. gave it 2 coats to stiffen up and really flatten out any fine imperfections. then 2 coats of rustoleum flat black. this leaves a nice matt look and smooths out the surface.
but i wasnt happy with the matt look, so i glazed it with a clear coat. shiny and new...

step six: wash bumper with warm soapy water...and let dry

step 7: red striping time.

step 8: fit everything..

and the final outcome. a bit of make up and she's already looking much happier and prettier..
u3
pro dicer

Postby riyaaz on Mon May 13, 2013 5:19 pm

A mk3 has SO much potential bru! Good luck with the restoration :thumright:
DUB wrote: even God messed up on some individuals, Pepa for instance :)

Current: '97 Golf 3 GTS 1.8i aka Turtle
Ex: '90 mk1 1.6 aka The Danger :(
riyaaz
Plascon Developements CEO

Postby u3 on Tue May 14, 2013 10:51 am

thanks..

this weekend, im replacing the power steering pump and hopefully get to service her. its long overdue.

also need to find someone who will have a look at the electrics for me.. wish i had a bud who would do it for a gatsby or something..lol..

im also looking to replace the mp9 management with a diktator.. anyone have one they want to give away?
u3
pro dicer

Postby u3 on Mon May 20, 2013 9:32 am

so, i planned to work on the car over the weekend, but alas, it was not meant to be.

last weekend the car started making this kind of grinding noise. it was coming from the belts area, so i assumed it was the power steering pump kakking..so i ignored it because i knew i was going to be replacing it.

the sound only occurred when the car was cold. early morning and at night. mid day when it was warmer it was gone.

so i blew it off.. then thursday last week i was driving home from work.. sat in traffic for a while.. no sound. then about 5km from home still in traffic, there started a screatching noise frlom teh engine bay.. was only on acceleration and only for short bursts...thought, im not far from home..il get home and then strip her and check it out. 10 minutes later i am about 1km from home and i pull away from a robot, as i start accelerating, i feel a jerk, and then a drop to no power...with a burst of smoke out the exhaust...i immediately stop and switch off the car.. FUUUUCK...
now the car wont even swing to start.. this weekend i pushed it out the garage to check it out and i realised my garage is in a terrible condition and needs to be cleared before i start any major work.. so i left the car out..and emptied the garage.. repacked and now i have space for 2 cars and the bike again..lol..
anywahs..today my trusted mechanic, my neighbour, should be stripping the car. belt covers and checking out whats going on. hoping its just a belt that snapped. and hope i didnt bend any valves..

so thats teh update. the car is standing. and set my restore project on hold again.. if things are really messed up does anyone have R20k for me? my motor replacement plan is going to cost R20k just to get the motor and gearbox..lol...
u3
pro dicer

Postby Bratano on Mon May 27, 2013 1:47 pm

Shucks, bad experience i know...20k for a engine and GB :scratch: hows about import motor and recon gearbox, for under r10k im sure
Polo Gti 07 ... Upgrades - Decat, DP, Wulfchiptegnik etc
Ex ride: Polo Classic 2E http://veedubz.co.za/xvforum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6616
Bratano
XV forum King

Postby u3 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:36 am

yep, the 20k is for an import motor and GB. for a 1.8 20VT.
i mean whats teh point in spending 15k on a 16v when i can get 4 extra valves for 5k...and newer tech, plus a turbo...and parts are easier to source..

anyways..after had a moment to strip and look what was going on, found that the cam belt had jumped 9 teeth. why? i cant be sure...everything looks fine.. got everything corrected and timing fine, but car wont start so definitely bent a valve...

so now im busy stripping the head.. and will be taking it away to have it sorted..
thinking about porting and flowing it one time and fitting 276 cam. but the only problem...where to find a 276 cam and the cost of it all..lol..

if only there was a HOT MILF wanting a boy toy..id sell my body.. lol..only HOT MILFs need send requests...
u3
pro dicer

Postby u3 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:43 am

FINALLY GOT HER STARTED...
so 3 months of standing and some crazy screaming moments i managed to get the head off, have it engineered and put it back get the timing sorted and find the original fault and get the car started.

so all those effort, time and money spent due to...wait for it... a faulty tensioner.

i bought all my parts from Masterparts and the tensioner they gave me was faulty/badly manufactured...it cracked and locked up causing the cam belt to lock up and jump 9 teeth causing 4 bent valves and lots of headaches...

but, now the car is started. the head is redone. new seals,valves and been engineered to ensure everything is running perfectly smooth. its basically new!
also replaced the power steering pump which had seized and was causing the power steering fluid to push into the reservoir and flow over.

also gave the car a major service. new oil, plugs, filters and belts are basically new too. timing is reset. engine cleaned. manifolds have new bolts. new head bolts, new head gasket, new tappet cover seals/gasket. new gearbox oil, battery toppped up and fully charged. new coolant. a few wires cleaned up and replaced(some points need to be replaced and soldered on again. need some more time and a decent work light)

so, restoration has been restarted, but i am broke..so the plan is to keep the car parked and slowly save up. drive her up the road every now and then to keep things moving..and oil and coolant flowing..and to ensure that she gets some sunlight..lol..and then next on the list to tackle is the electrics.. think i might just take her to auto electrician and park her there and let him do a full diagnostic and fix everything..prob gona cost a few 1000...so hoping by December/Jan i will be able to tackle that.

just happy to hear her purr again.. missed it..
u3
pro dicer

Postby Bratano on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:58 am

Nice to know buddy, so when you fitting that 20v..
I would make a big fuss for that faulty tensioner that was sold to you...
Polo Gti 07 ... Upgrades - Decat, DP, Wulfchiptegnik etc
Ex ride: Polo Classic 2E http://veedubz.co.za/xvforum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6616
Bratano
XV forum King

Postby PoPo on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:35 pm

LAMINEX...well clear laminex that is... that will protect your headlights well any headlights... dunno why people are so anti laminex.

The clear spray is gonna start cracking and peeling because of the heat, and the crap it takes being the headlights ie...stone chips and ish....laminex will sort your out bru. :thumleft:
Current: Polo 6r 1.4 CW Comfortline
Ex: Polo GTi (sold)
Ex: Mk3 2.0 8V GTi (sold)
Ex: Mk2 1.6 CSL (engine blew)
PoPo
Slut

Postby u3 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:09 pm

how about you come do the laminex for me? you so good at it.. i am not up for it. the spray was quick and easy...lol...

i plan to make a fuss about the part.. been looking into who i contact, the only problem im having is i cant find the damn receipt now..so i will have no grounds for complaints..they will just tell me they cant do anything without the receipt.. so will keep looking for it and hopefullyi find it then i will make big noise..
u3
pro dicer

Postby u3 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:24 pm

ok, restore is moving on.. i went to local parts dealer and asked for a air cooler radiator and was told they dont have but he can get it for me in 2 days. very well. go home start stripping the dash and pulling everything out thinking il get things sorted in 3 days max..
dash is out and cooler system is out and after hours of @#$@#M#$%#MM$%#$% and breaks and sore hands its all out.
i go to fetch the part.. and i look at it and it does not look like the part i have. so i ask the guy whats going on.. and he says apparently there r 2 types of heater cores. a str8 1 and 1 with a bend. mine is str8. he had the 1 with the bend.

so i have to find a different heater core..and apparently no1 in cpt or SA has one.
found a few second hand ones. but was hoping for a new one.
goldwagen tells me it will take 2-3 weeks to get one. so now my car is stripped and i dont have a part anytime soon. what a waste of time. i am not going to put the dash and things back in just to strip it again..but now the car is going to stand for a who knows how long until i find the part...
eish...

mor headaches.. i have decided to just sell her. i dont have the space for her to be standing long term and its taking too long to get her fixed the way i want.
if you know anyone looking for a mk3 GTI that has been well looked after for the most part and when repairs were done it was with new and better than OEM parts where possible, then contact me. its time to let her go.
i ride the bike more often anyways and need to get something smaller for the mrs.
u3
pro dicer

Postby u3 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:05 pm

END OF AN ERA

so my old friend has been sold..i will miss the goold old days we had together when i was able to spend hours doing mods and fixes and drive her around.

but had to move on. so got a 2004 polo 1.4 its very nice and neat and was very well looked after.

will post some pics when i get a chance to take some this weekend
u3
pro dicer

Return to The Workbench